Tuesday 20 May 2014

RAIRESHWAR- A FANTASY LAND IN THE SAHYADRI


RAIRESHWAR PLATEUE:-

I had heard a lot about this region and was eagerly waiting to travel here. This time I grabbed a chance while I wanted some dramatize landscapes for one of my project. Without wasting time I packed my gears and headed Bus Stand to visit Heaven called Raireshwar Plateau in the Wai-Mahabaleshwar patch of Maharashtra. Located around 30 kms way from Wai, this plateau is based at 3000ft above sea level. This place is of Great historic importance as King Shivaji took an oath here to fight against the mighty Mughal Dyanasty creating havoc and terrorism on Hindu citizens residing in the Maharashtra.




There is an ancient temple of Lord Shiva where King Shivaji took the oath. Thus after conquering Karnataka province, he settled the ‘Jangam’ community here who migrated with him from the Karnataka. Till date they are residing here and earning their living from Agriculture. Village settlement of around 500 families lives here up above 3000ft in the core of the mountains, dense forests with very active wildlife. Person visiting here for the first time is stunned by the serene landscapes and calmness here. So was I. It was totally like a new world for me. Winter season added more joy. 


Raireshwar Plateau is so vast and wide that roaming here entirely will take three to four days. The basic geographical aspect of this region is very interesting. It comes under the mainstream line of the Western Ghats of India i.e the Sahyadri Mountain ranges. The forest here is so dense and fierce that one may find tough to roam here during day too. Tigers and Leopards roam here freely and villagers are at constant risk from getting attacked by the big cats. Goosebumps!!! When we were heading towards the ‘Nakhind’ Mountains my guide (Shivaji Jangam) showed me the bones of a goat which was killed by the Leopard two days ago at the same spot where we were standing. I was terribly frightened. Our steps added more speed as it was around 3 hours trek. I could here every sound of my body organ in that silence of the forest. Wow!!!
 

Finding way from 5ft tall grass was indeed a tough job. But for my guide it was part of his regular routine. We had kept our choppers ready to defend in any case. Since this area was one of the prime area during King Shivaji’s reign, it has been surrounded by many Hill forts which are worth visiting to test your trekking capacities and love for the Wild. Some of the mighty forts like Rajgad, Torna, Sinhagad,Pratapgad and other like Makarandgad, Kamalgad, Kenjalgad, Purandar,Rohida are located around Raireshwar. To get ‘protected’ from this many forts was such an amazing feeling for me. Along with the forts this area has a thick blanket of the famous ‘Jaavli’ forest which is still known for its fierceness and active wildlife. One cannot dare to roam here alone. This is the specialty of the Sahyadri. On one hand it is terrible and on the other it is too beautiful. It does have some nor the other for every person and I am sure you will definitely get something out of the world at your Visit. After two hours we were tired a little and decided to have lunch beside a water stream. We opened our Lunch box given by my Guide’s wife. 

Eating a typical local rural food is such an amazing feeling. It has no artificial smell which we often have in our cities. I could easily feel the affection in the food put by my guide’s wife. As I extremely love drinking river water, I did the same here. After taking 10 minutes rest we headed for our destination. ‘Dhom’ Backwater was seen deep below at our left side and the view was Stunning. Fort Kenjalgad’s distinctive shape was adding more curiosity about him and I was making plan to visit there soon. Finally we reached the ‘Nakhind’ mountains. Probably one of the most scenic and outstanding views of the Sahyadri was in front of me. Totally divine. First five-ten minutes I was completely blank and lost in my world of the Sahyadri.  I screamed loudly- “I LOVE YOU SAHYADRI” and my guide was amused seeing this. He laughed and started clapping. Rather than capturing shots I was busy in my own thoughts here. Many times it so happens that the writer inside me takes a front lead than a Photographer. So I started a self dialogue. This is a phase where Mother Nature teaches us mutely. You just have to listen to her like a good child. While shooting here I took some risky ways to get that perfect ‘angle’ knowing this would cost me hard. I am happy I came back one piece. I had planned to stay here so that I could shoot a beautiful Sunset. But unfortunately we were just two and staying here in the night with Big Cats was indeed a bad idea. Unwillingly we started our return journey to our camp. The Sahyadri never disappoints and it gave some great shots while returning. Day got over with full satisfaction and I slept happily that night.


NEXT DAY:- It was freezing cold the next morning. Gathering all my power I woke up from sugar sleep and packed my gears (camera and Equipments) heading towards East direction to shoot Sunrise. My Favorite. The entire sky was filled with dark blue color and I was desperately waiting for the yellow rays. All of sudden nature sprinkled its miracle and released one light but strong ray of sun. You will not believe it was just ‘one’ ray. I had never seen such kind of drama before. As if someone had put on the torch in a dark room. Entire universe got lit up. I was stunned, amazed and was lost in its beauty. I clicked my best Sunrise Shot ever.


After witnessing a dramatize sunrise it was time up. I returned back at my guide’s home. His wife offered me a cup of tea and it was so delicious that I requested to make one more. The village of the Jangam community is such a beauty in simplicity. Lush green farms with morning rays making it appear like Green sparkling night insects. I headed towards the temple where King Shivaji took the oath. Indeed a holy place.


After spending two days on this heaven called Raireshwar, it was time to say temporary Good bye. One cannot say permanent good bye to such a beautiful place. Right?  My Guide’s wife packed lunch for me and insisted to visit again. This was a little emotional moment. I had fallen in love with this place and its people. I took a 360’ overview and left from there. It was around 2 hour journey to reach the base village from where I had to reach the Wai Bus Stand. In the bus I was flying in my thoughts of Raireshwar-The Nakhind Mountains-Forts-Dense forest-villager’s encounter with big cats-The food-The divine Sunrise and the Soothing Sunset. Truly a fantasy land.




Regards                                                                                                                                                      -ANIKET KASTURE TRAVEL PHOTOGRAPHY

Note- Please give your reviews via mail or Phone at- kastaniket@yahoo.co.in and                               Mob-9664284368

All photographs reserved under copyrights @ Aniket Kasture Photography only.









4 comments:

  1. landscape photography are really fantastic... truely describing the beauty and tradition of the region from where they are taken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Photography and Beautifully worded blog....Cheers Bro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. breathtaking pics bro.....
    After reading your article, I am eagerly waiting to visit this place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome pics bro?
    Which camera do u use?

    ReplyDelete